Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Takamatsu Tango


This past weekend I had the opportunity to travel to an away game on one of Japan's four major islands, Shikoku, to see Ray play the Takamatsu Five Arrows.  The first night I stayed with some friends, and the next two nights I was able to stay with Ray- the first time we have had the opportunity to share one of his away trips.  Takamatsu was truly wonderful- a sleepy and quiet port area.  I enjoyed the trip very much.



I climbed to the top of a hill overlooking Takamatsu.  The view was unbelievable!


Sepia Coffee
This little coffee shop knocked my socks off.  It was exactly what I'd dreamed of wanting to see while I was here in Japan, and for some reason it put a smile on my face for the rest of the day.  When I entered this cozy little place, I was received with wide smiles by the older couple who owned the place.  They had nearly 20 different roasts of beans that they roast on the premises, and serve their drinks in beautiful china tea cups.  I spent the majority of my morning here on Saturday, nursing a delicious cappucino and enjoying a wonderful book.


Matt, Lanej and Josiah
Matt Garrison plays for Takamatsu, and has played overseas for nearly 15 years!  I regret having not taken a picture of his wife, Lanej, but they are expecting their second son any day now!!  They hosted me for a night before Ray got in to town, and it was SO wonderful to spend 24 hours with loving believers, and chat about playing ball overseas and having a family.  Josiah, their first son, was a hoot!!




Ritsurin Park
The largest garden designated as a special National Senic Area, took me an entire afternoon to browse.  It was originally carved out in the 1570's by a local ruling family and later became a park of the area in 1875.  It was comprised of six huge ponds, elaborate "Edo Era" style gardens, and season significant landscaping.  The weather was gorgeous on the day I went, so browsing and picnicking was most delightful. 











No comments: