Monday, March 9, 2009

Beautiful Nagano...

What a trip!!  I was back and forth about going on this trip to begin with, and as it usually turns out, I am SO glad I went!   A group of 19 other foreigners accompanied me on a 7 hour, overnight bus ride to get up to the slopes.  We stayed in this charming little hotel, and got to rest our bones in the "sento" or hot bath after getting off the hill at night. 

This is where we ate and used the sento.  Delightfully Swiss!

This particular ski resort included two separate resorts for one lift ticket.  They were interconnected with LONG gondolas.  Here I am with some new friends!  What a treat to speak English for an entire weekend!

I would have to say that I was blown away by the weather we had! Both days offered us a clear blue sky and bright sun.  Though the snow was a bit icy, it didn't affect the skiing too much.  This has to rank among one of the most amazing ski trips I have ever had!

This is at the base of the first- and busiest!- resort, Goryu.  Because of the hordes of people, we spent our majority of time on the other side of the mountain, at Hakuba 47 where the crowds were much slimmer.

The beauty up there was something I NEEDED to see.  It's no wonder that the winter Olympics were held up here some years back.  

I think it's been nearly 4 years since I've skied.  I fell in love with it all over again!

This is a typical sleeping situation here in Japan.  This is called a "tatami room" (tatami being the grass matting of the floor)... and you sleep on a "futon", a thin mattress on the floor.  If you don't mind sleeping on the floor it's not too bad...



Outstanding beauty.


New friends Ashley (from Seattle, WA), and Sayuko (married to another guy from Seattle!!).  Go PNW!!


This trip was truly a grand opportunity, and I am so grateful for having made it possible before we left Japan.  Such a blessing!!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Estoy muy celosa que pudiste a skiar. Quiero skiar como loco. Quiero ver nieva, pero ya tengo bastante frio! Estoy alegre que pudiste a viajar a ver esta pais y tener buen experiencias! No puedo a esperar a verte! Abrazos y besos!