Thursday, March 5, 2009

A day out on the town....

On Monday, Ryan, Ray, and Ryan's mom Pat, joined me for a day out in Kyoto.  We began our adventures on the western side of Kyoto, the area of Arashiyama.

The blossoms.... ohhh the blossoms....

Ray, rubbing shoulders with the locals...

The bamboo forest.  Absolutely incredible....



The breeze created music in the tall reeds of bamboo.  It was eery and beautiful at the same time...



I am fascinated by this timber and am eager to learn more.  I know that bamboo grows quickly, like a weed, and totally support the use of it as an alternative material for flooring and other construction projects.  I look forward to continuing research on growing and tending this crop.

These smell like heaven...


I love this river...

Another trip to the MONKEY PARK!!!

That just doesn't look comfortable...


Now he's just greedy.  Ray gave him 11 peanuts, all of which he stored in his cheeks.

Ryan wants to have just as much fun as Ray.  He's next.

2 comments:

AIR said...

Wow Sarah. I've never seen a bamboo forest before. What an amazing sight. Great pics too. I can amost smell the flowers from here...at least I can imagine smelling them. I bet spring is quite refreshing.

We miss you two, and envy your experiences in the most positive ways.

Much love.

Unknown said...

i miss the schafers....soooooo much. i need my ray and sarah fix! Are you guys ever coming back to the U.S.? well i hope things are going well. i keep up with your stuff on your blog so keep on keepin on.
you guys rock,
jeremy