Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A charming night...

Our neighbors, Bob, Sanae and Joi.

Sunday night after Ray's game, our neighbors took us to a little hideaway restaurant they knew about, tucked up in the hills of a shrine.  They treated us to an OUTSTANDING outdoor dinner of "Sukiyaki", which we enjoyed while overlooking a series of waterfalls.
This place was ancient, so remote.  I just kept saying, "WOW!  This is so incredible!!"  I guess you have to call ahead of time to ask for a meal so that they can go shopping and prepare.  This is not your typical dining experience!!
Sukiyaki involves a variety of vegetables, raw beef, noodles and tofu.  You create a "soup" over a hot plate, adding soy sauce, sugar, and water.  You then add the above ingredients until they are cooked, and each person eats directly out of the pot.  Traditionally, you are supposed to dip your food in a beaten raw egg before eating, but Ray and I passed on that option this time around.



This was our adorable little host.  I liked him a lot:)

1 comment:

454235 said...

Ok,i'm confused...since when is it propper to hug the "host" knee? lol! Sooo here I am in Italy thinking that they got amazing food and all...and I look at this place you ate at!Man! I've never seen or heard of anything like it! you got me wanting to take the "red eye" out there! lol! ps. love your skirt Sarah!