Thursday, October 23, 2008

Absolutely Autumn...

I had the outstanding opportunity to get outside with a co-worker yesterday and do some hiking.  Sadly, our spouses could not join us, but I will be sure to bring Ray back to this hiking area.  To my delight, these trails are relatively in our back yard.  Such beauty that I've barely explored since being here.  My friend Dave is married to a Japanese woman and knows the trails around here very well.  He was a perfect tour guide.

Our plan was about a 9 mile loop that would take us high up on this ridge, overlooking Lake Biwa and our city.  We would have a hot lunch on a rocky outcropping at the top.  The trails around here are outstanding- consisting of sections of rock climbing, rope ladders and chains.  I loved it!  We were accompanied by a wonderful Fall wind and sweet smelling air.


Being the nature-buff and all, I thought I'd seen it all.  That is until I saw these small "Kah-ni" (crab) littered on the forest floor!  Where I grew up, crab only lived near the salt water!!

Not a great picture, but you get the idea- the rock formations were awesome- mostly sandstone and a conglomerate granite.  I'm perched on the rock face below...

Yum- noodle bowls at the top!



So many beautiful waterfalls... the leaves are in the initial stages of changing color...

How I love ferns....





No comments: